Cookery: Vegetarian Indian – Beyond Curry
Location Coleridge Community College
Start Date 25 January 2018
Time 6.30pm - 9.00pm
Weeks 6 weeks
Price £79 (£52 concession)
On this course you will learn to master basic traditional Indian cooking techniques and you will discover a different experience while learning and understanding the use of different spices at different levels.
A typical cookery evening will commence with the tutor providing a demonstration of the recipe that you will be cooking, this usually take 20-30 minutes. During the demonstration they will provide pointers such as knife skills and kitchen safety.
Once the demonstration is complete you will have the chance to sample the dish.
Then it is your time to cook at your own pace, your tutor is very much hands on and will guide you from start to finish.
Once you have finished cooking and cleaned and washed down, the following weeks recipe is handed out so as you can obtain the ingredients in plenty of time for the following weeks lesson. Each lesson is a total of 2.5 hours long.
You will need to also bring a dish cloth, tea towel and containers to take your food home in.
The lessons are run on an informal basis which is fun to do whilst learning some new recipes and techniques.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
• Understand benefits of different Indian spices
• Learn about different food tastes of Indian cuisine
• Gain confidence in cooking Indian dishes
• Learn traditional serving techniques
About Your Tutor:
Dipa has experience in catering over 10 years and had worked in her own restaurant along with her husband 9 years ago. She is currently supplying party catering to corporates, Christmas parties wedding parties etc. She was born and brought up in India and has a good knowledge of different dishes from various parts of India.
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment:
You will be given an ingredients list weekly and will be asked to bring the ingredients for the following week’s recipe at a cost of between £5 to £10 (max) weekly.
For the first session you will need to bring:
£5 to cover cost of the ingredients. You will be given list of dishes names and ingredients for each lessons on your first day.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
You may wish to go for a specialist cookery course in Indian cuisine to gain further qualifications in cookery. The college also offers lots of exciting cookery courses through-out the year.
The Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*50p charge), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold / are in receipt of a means tested benefit. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.