Stained Glass: Copperfoil Techniques
Location Trumpington Community College
Start Date 26 September 2017
Time 7.00pm - 9.15pm
Weeks 9 weeks
Price £107 (£70 concession)
Have you ever wondered how glass is made and put together? Here is your chance to try a unique glass technique called ‘copperfoil,’ invented by Louis Comfort Tiffany which revolutionised the way that glass was made and put together. Small scale, delicate pieces can be made using this method. You will need a steady hand and lots of patience to learn this technique, but the results will be well worth the effort! You will create a unique and beautiful stained glass mirror using clear textured glass during this course.
Method of Payment:
Fees are to be paid on enrolment. Places cannot be reserved without receipt of payment.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
During the first part of the course we will concentrate upon working out suitable designs and colour scheme for this project so that you will understand how to design your own piece in the future. The following will be studied during the course:
- Design skills * Brief history of glass/makers
- Glass cutting methods * grinding & soldering
- Copperfoil technique * Health & safety
- Images for inspiration (essential)
- A permanent pen
- a pencil, rubber, ruler
- An apron, which is fabric or plastic coated
- A small mdf board with one raised edge ( for cutting glass on)
- A glass cutter if you have one
- A pair of pliers (essential)
- an empty margarine pot or a sheet of glass with masking tape around the edge or a non-slip mat and a piece of A4 glass(for easy transportation of glass)
Extra costs on the course:
Tools and equipment will be provided (there will be a small fee each term – approx. £17 to cover the costs of equipment and glass.) However, you will need to bring the materials listed with you on the first evening please.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Your tutor will advise you.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*50p charge), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold / are in receipt of a means tested benefit. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.