Spanish: Upper Intermediate
Location Coleridge Community College
Start Date 26 April 2018
Time 7.00pm - 9.00pm
Weeks 10 weeks
Price £105 (£69 concession)
Spanish course suitable for those willing to improve their fluency in the language at a higher-intermediate level for work, study or leisure. You will be working towards reaching level B1 of the Council of Europe Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The course follows a communicative-interactive approach and action oriented learning. Teaching and learning is carried out entirely in Spanish. All students’ needs and goals will be taken into account to make the learning experience appealing and meaningful. Students will be able to build on their previous knowledge to further develop all four language skills (speaking, reading, writing and listening), although particular emphasis will be given to speaking and listening. Regular homework will be set to consolidate what has been learnt in class. Continuous assessment will be carried out to measure students’ progress.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
This course is suitable for those who have already studied Spanish for 3 years (180 hours) -or equivalent learning-. For knowledge required, check the Spanish Beginners, Improvers and Intermediate course descriptions on the Web Site.
By the end of this course the participants will be able to:
Design and Technology (Unit 10)
Describe objects (shape, material and use);
Express like and dislike.
Identify and use relative clauses with a preposition Preposition + el/la/los/las + que + Verb.
Express wish and necessity with relative clauses (Indicativo/Subjuntivo)
Express the superlative and other gradatives
Environment and Sustainable Development (Unit 11)
Assess events, facts and behaviour:
- (No)Me parece/ Esta bien/mal que + Presente de Subjuntivo)
- Lo de + Infinitive/Noun…
- Lo que + Conjugated Verb…
Identify and use the Conditional.
Identify vocabulary on environmental issues (nouns/adjectives/verbs)
Research on a topic of own interest (art, music, literature, cinema, current issues, travelling…) and make a presentation.
About Your Tutor:
Luisa Turmo-Coderque is a native Spanish speaker. She is a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (MCIOL). She holds a Degree in Spanish Law from the University of Zaragoza (Spain) and a Language Teaching Qualification (Certificate in Language Teaching to Adults) awarded by International House Barcelona and the University of Barcelona (Spain) Institute for Lifelong Learning (IL3). She also holds an MA in Legal Translation and Interpreting (English-Spanish). She is a professional translator and teaches adult Spanish courses at various Colleges in Cambridgeshire.
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment:
Textbook - Curso de Español Aula Internacional 3 New Edition, Publisher: Difusión. ISBN 978-84-15640-11-0
For the first session you will need to bring:
Notebook and pen.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Students will be able to proceed to the Spanish Upper Intermediate 3 course.
The Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*we do not accept American Express), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold, are in receipt of a means tested benefit or who are unemployed. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or email@example.com. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.