Italian: Upper Intermediate
Location Coleridge Community College
Start Date 25 April 2018
Time 7.45pm - 9.15pm
Weeks 10 weeks
Price £79 (£52 concession)
This course is a progression from the Intermediate course and is suitable for those who have already studied Italian for at least two years. Learners will have the opportunity to develop the four language skills to a more advanced level, enabling them to begin to understand authentic materials from the Italian media and modern literature. The focus will be on regional diversity and the making of contemporary Italy. Grammar will also be an important component of the course. The course is based on interactive and communicative methods and will be taught entirely in Italian. A variety of class activities will be used including role-play, listening to CDs and viewing of Italian films. Class discussions on a variety of topics will take place on a regular basis and students will be strongly encouraged to express their views and opinions. There is no formal examination at the end of this course, but continuous assessment will be performed through class activities and weekly homework.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
The course is suitable for learners who have already studied Italian for at least two years or have completed the Improvers course and have a good understanding of the structure and basic grammar of the language. Learners should have a sufficient vocabulary to describe people, places and situations and be able to express their opinions with simple sentences. They should also have an adequate knowledge of prepositions, personal pronouns and the indicative verbs (present, past and future).
By the end of the one year course you will have covered the following main topics:
• highlights of Italian history
• cinema, art and culture
• regional diversity
You will have also studied the following points of grammar:
• revision of main tenses (present, past, future)
• the past historic
• the conditional
• relative pronouns
• double object pronouns
About Your Tutor:
Stefania Borzillo is a native speaker from Italy. Graduated in Italian Studies, European Literatures and Linguistic Sciences, she obtained the DITALS certification in 2014, for teaching Italian to foreigners. She gained experience as a teacher of Italian for foreigners in different cultural centres in Bologna, before moving to Cambridge, where she worked as tutor in private schools of Italian.
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment:
Course book to be discussed in the first class. Approx cost: £10 - £20.
For the first session you will need to bring:
A ring binder, paper, dividers and pens.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Learners will be able to proceed to the Pre–Advanced course from September 2018.
The Adult Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*we do not accept American Express), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold, are in receipt of a means tested benefit or who are unemployed. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or email@example.com. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.