Psychology: an Introduction
Location Parkside Community College
Start Date 25 September 2017
Time 6.45pm - 8.45pm
Weeks 8 weeks
Price £84 (£55 concession)
Modern Psychology is a rich tapestry of many specialist fields. These range from Developmental and Lifespan Psychology which take us through childhood to old age, Cognitive Psychology which focuses on how our minds perform various tasks, Social Psychology which looks at how we perform in social groups and covers subjects such as conformity and obedience. In just eight weeks we will introduce you to all of this as well of the fundamental principles of conducting scientific enquiry. A fascinating journey, we encourage all who are interested in the science of mind and behaviour to begin their studies here.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
By the end of this course you will have the opportunity to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of the core principles of 'The Scientific Method'
2. Participate in a presentation of a famous case study and associated Mental Illness
3. Identify and explain any one psychology theory. (Written Assignment by lesson 7)
4. Identify how knowledge learned on the course could be used in future career / personal progression.
About Your Tutor:
Anthony Hall Bsc (Hons)
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment:
No extra costs are incurred. However, if you are serious about studying Psychology thoroughly, we recommend the following text:
The Psychology of Mind and Behaviour. Richard Gross (2010) ISBN 10: 144410831X
This text will greatly enhance your learning experience.
For the first session you will need to bring:
Paper and Pen for note taking.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Your tutor will advise you.
The Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*50p charge), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold / are in receipt of a means tested benefit. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.