Ikebana, Japanese Art of Flower Arrangement / Floral Design (MAY DAY SCHOOL)
Location Coleridge Community College
Start Date 19 May 2018
Weeks 1 weeks
You will be introduced to Ikebana, the Japanese Art of Flower arrangement, both Shoinbana, traditional Koryu
Seika style ikebana, and Jiyuuka, free style ikebana, how it relates to nature, and the four seasons. Your tutor will discuss Ikebana and Western flower arrangement and demonstrate different style of Ikebana.
About Your Tutor:
Yukiko Isono, your tutor, is a master of the Koryu School of ikebana, and has given exhibitions, demonstrations and classes in the U.K. since 1980, will talk about ikebana, demonstrate the art of ikebana and lead the workshop. www.ikebanastudio.uk
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
No previous experience or knowledge of flower arrangement is required. Learners who have an interest in Japanese culture, or some knowledge of Ikebana or western flower arrangement and beginners are welcome.
By the end of the course you will have the opportunity to:
• Learn about what is Ikebana
• Learn to practice and enjoy basic Ikebana with plants and containers
• Take your own Ikebana home
• The cost of the course includes a kenzan (a device used in ikebana for fixing the flowers in the container) which is yours to take home and keep.
For the session you will need to bring:
A pair of strong scissors or secateurs and a large bowl or container, for example a salad bowl. You may like to bring flowers, flowering branches, and leafy materials from your own garden, but this is not essential. The cost of the course includes a kenzan (a device used in ikebana for fixing the flowers in the container) which is yours to take home and keep. Please bring a Binbag a crate or semi rigid bag (eg supermarket hessian bag) to transport your own Ikebana.
Extra costs on the course for materials or equipment:
Flower materials have been included in your course fee (flowers, branches, leafy materials and oasis are included) - NO extra fee.
You may like to bring flowers, flowering branches, and leafy materials from your own garden, but this is not essential.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
The learners can progress to the next level and other seasons, through additional workshops.
The tutor will advise you.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*we do not accept American Express), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold, are in receipt of a means tested benefit or who are unemployed. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or email@example.com. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.