Foraging Days – OFFSITE
Location Coleridge Community College and OFFSITE
Day Info: Wednesday / OFFSITE: Saturday
Start Date 28 April 2018
Time 10.00am - 4.00pm (info: 7.00-8.30pm)
Weeks 1 weeks
Price £46 per day
This is a series of independent days out learning to forage for freely and legally available wild food and healing plants. Each one will include an evening beforehand (Wednesday) to discuss the health & safety and legal aspects of foraging and to look at identification guides to what we are hoping to find. The evening session will take place at Coleridge Community College.
We will also include a group discussion to try to tailor our session to those aspects that the group are most interested in, and include a few foraging stories!
Method of Payment
Fees are to be paid on enrolment. Places cannot be reserved without receipt of payment.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
By the end of the course you will be able to:
• Forage for seasonal wild herbs or plants and fruits
• Identify useful wild and cultivated food and medicinal plants (herbs, flowers, trees and shrubs)
• Have an idea of the background of these plants and some ideas as to how to prepare and use them
• Know and understand the medicinal properties of the plants you identify and gather
• Select the right herbs to treat common ailments of each system and know how to administer them
About Your Tutor:
Rosie McMurray – an experienced forager and tutor of many subject areas.
For the session you will need to bring:
You will need to have your own transport to the venue which will be discussed in the information session. Weather dependent clothing and a picnic lunch. You will also need a bag for your foraging goods
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment:
There may be a carpark charge at the chosen site.
Day 1: Wild Fruits
Info session: Wednesday 27th September 2017 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Foraging day: Saturday 30th September 2017 10.00am – 4.00pm
Course fee: £46
This day out will take us foraging for the abundant wild fruits, nuts and berries growing around Cambridge at this time of year! We will look at habitats and the identification, with guidesheets and recipes included. We will also learn about the folklore and stories attached to the traditional use of these fruits. The day will include a picnic lunch along the way.
Day 2: Wild Food
Info session: Wednesday 25th April 2018 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Foraging day: Saturday 28th April 2018 10.00am – 4.00pm
Course fee: £46
Enjoy a day out foraging for wild plants growing in abundance around Cambridge at this time of year! We will look at their habitats and identification and provide information about the traditional uses and the folklore and stories attached to them. We will also have a picnic lunch and a chance to try what we have collected! The course will include an identification guide and recipes.
These courses are open to anyone who is interested in supplementing their variety of local foods, healthy and local eating and would like information about where to find them.
Day 3: Medicinal Plants
Info session: Wednesday 9th May 2018 7.00pm – 8.30pm
Foraging day: Saturday 12th May 2018 10.00am – 4.00pm
Course fee: £46
On this course we will take a day out foraging for local, traditional plants used to promote well-being and to treat common ailments. It will include tips on how to find and identify them and we will have a picnic lunch where we can try what we have found so far!
We’ll discuss traditional uses and folklore, current therapeutic applications of the herbs by herbalists, preparation methods and how you can use the plants yourselves at home.
This course is open to anyone with an interest in knowing more about herbs and health.
• This includes those who have just started, and anyone wishing to brush up on their plant identification and understanding of medicinal plants.
• For gardeners wanting to deepen their knowledge about the plants they know and love.
• And for anyone interested in sustainably using the natural resources around them for supporting their health.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*50p charge), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold / are in receipt of a means tested benefit. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or email@example.com. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.