Pattern Cutting for Dressmakers 3
Location Coleridge Community College
Start Date 25 April 2018
Time 1.00pm - 3.00pm
Weeks 10 weeks
Price £105 (£69 concession)
This course will introduce the beginner to pattern cutting in women’s wear, using block pattern manipulation techniques. Using their own measurements the student will produce a set of basic blocks, and learn how to adapt them to create different styles and their own designs.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
Some previous dressmaking experience will be beneficial.
The 30 week course will be organised in the following way:
• Draft a skirt block using your own measurements
• Learn how to adapt the block to produce different styles
• Design and make a skirt
• Draft a complete bodice block using your own measurements
• Learn how to adapt the block to produce different styles
• Design and make a blouse
Term 3 (last 5 weeks)
• Draft a trouser block using your own measurements
About Your Tutor:
Sally Tilley has been dressmaking domestically and commercially for the past 20 years. She studied at Loughborough College of Art and worked briefly as a fashion designer before moving into teaching textiles. Since leaving the industry she has continued to take on commission work and teach dressmaking and pattern cutting courses.
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment:
1. Sewing kit which includes: stitch scissors, dressmaking shears, steel pins and metric tape measure.
2. Paper scissors, Pritt stick, calico, pattern cutting paper (this can be purchased from the tutor), metre rule, square and ¼ scale pattern master (this will be discussed in the first lesson as they are purchased from Morplan).
3. You will need a sewing machine at home to enable you to complete the homework.
4. Metric Pattern Cutting for Women’s Wear, Winifred Aldrich. ISBN 978-1-4051-7567-8
For the first session you will need to bring:
You will need to bring a tape measure, scissors, pencil & pen and A4 paper.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
Advanced course, discuss with the tutor.
The Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*we do not accept American Express), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold, are in receipt of a means tested benefit or who are unemployed. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.