Ballroom Dancing Beginners (for Couples)
Location Coleridge Community College
Start Date 10 January 2018
Time 7.50pm - 9.05pm
Weeks 10 weeks
Price £45 per person
The foundational elements of Ballroom dancing will be taught, focusing on Waltz, Social Foxtrot, Cha cha, and Rumba. Depending on the rate of progression in the class, Jive, English Tango, and Quickstep, will also be taught.
By the end of the course you will be able to perform (to music) an amalgamation of fundamental figures in each dance. You will have been exposed to some general principles of effective ballroom dancing.
Depending on your personal rate of progression, you will have acquired an understanding of how the gentleman indicates his intent over the course of a dance, and the manner in which the lady attends to this indication and responds.
Mostly, it’s fun!
This course is aimed towards couples. This simply means two people; same gender is welcome, in this instance one person will need to lead in the traditional ‘male’ role and one as ‘female’ role. If you would like to enrol as a sole booking the office will take your details and will contact you if more learners enquire individually. In this instance you will be given the opportunity to trial the class together.
Previous Experience and Knowledge Needed?
Athletic ability is required: the course is not suitable for those who are motion impaired.
By the end of the course you will have the opportunity to:
• Complete an amalgamation of fundamental figures in Waltz, Social Foxtrot, Cha cha, and Rumba.
• Understand the principles of inside and outside of turn as applied to Waltz and Social Foxtrot.
• Understand the difference between heel leads, and steps taken on ball of foot.
• Have a basic grasp of Cuban hip action, as applied in Cha cha and Rumba.
About Your Tutor:
Marcel started dancing at the university in Cambridge. He qualified professionally in 2002, and has run a local dance school since that time.
Extra costs on the course for example text book, materials or equipment:
For the first session you will need to bring:
Ballroom dancing is an athletic activity. Please wear clothing and footwear in which you are comfortable running about. It is beneficial if the sole of your shoe has some flex to it. In the beginning a low heel is best for a lady.
On completion of this course, what might your next steps be?
The aim is to run a continuation course. The Learn and Train office is able to give course information or search for alternative courses for you.
- For full course information: http://adult-education.parksidefederation.org.uk/
- We are able to accept bookings over the phone, please have your credit/debit card to hand.
- Places on any courses are only secure upon receipt of the FULL payment.
- Loyal Learners receive 5% discount towards the cost of any course in the 2017/18 academic year, to qualify for the discount full payment must be received before the enrolment deadline. For full terms and conditions contact the office.
- Postal enrolments with fees are welcome (please DO NOT send cash), make cheques payable to Parkside Federation Academies.
- Enrolments via email MUST NOT contain card payment details.
- Enrolments are welcome throughout the year.
- Courses with fewer than the relevant number of learners may have the option of continuing on payment of supplementary fees or the length of the course reducing.
- Upon enrolment you will receive learner information about college support and signposts to policies and regulations. If you do not have an email address please pick up a copy of the terms and conditions from the Adult Learn & Train office.
- Fees are payable in full when you enrol. We accept all major debit and *credit cards (*50p charge), cheques (made payable to Parkside Federation Academies), or cash (in person).
- Please note should you choose to withdraw from the course you will still be liable to pay any outstanding instalments.
- Refunds will only be paid in full when a class is closed at the discretion of the College, or if you cancel your enrolment at least two weeks before the course starts. If you decide to cancel less than two weeks before the course starts you will receive a 50% refund. Unfortunately we cannot offer a refund if a course has already started.
- Concessionary fees are available if you: are in receipt of the “Guaranteed Credit” element of the Pension Credit / have an income equivalent to the Government low income threshold / are in receipt of a means tested benefit. Proof must be shown at enrolment, otherwise the full fee will be charged.
- If you have supplied your email address, you will receive a confirmation email following your enrolment. If you have not received this, please contact the Adult Learn & Train team on 01223 712340 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If the course is cancelled, we will contact you to offer an alternative or a full refund.
- Free Parking is available in the evening at all centres on a first come first serve basis. During the day spaces are extremely limited in the car park – street parking is available a short walk away. If you require accessible parking please contact the centre concerned to reserve a space.
- All college premises are strictly NO SMOKING sites, any learners wishing to smoke are asked to do so away from the immediate vicinity of the college.
- In the event of severe weather conditions that result in school closure: please check the website or tune into local radio for up-to-date information.
Some courses are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency
Equalities and Diversity Statement: We are fully committed to equality of opportunity and welcome enrolments from everyone.
We positively encourage all learners with any concerns about specific needs which might affect their learning to discuss their requirements with us in confidence. We believe that everyone is entitled to learn in an environment that is free from discriminatory behaviour so that we build a community based on mutual trust and respect.
We will ensure that resources and equipment are accessible to all and make reasonable adjustments to ensure that all learners can access activities.
Safeguarding Statement: Arrangements have been made to make sure that you are safe in this centre. If you feel you are not safe for any reason, for example through verbal or physical abuse or you have been discriminated against, please tell your tutor or the centre manager, who will investigate to ensure your safety.
Adult Learn and Train reserve the right to withdraw tuition and exam entries in the event of verbal, physical or intimidating behaviour to other learners, tutor or staff.